Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Storytelling: Mohini's Diary



Dear Diary,
               Today I found out that I am the female version of Vishnu! Who would have ever thought that girl like me would be representing our gods? I am not sure what this means for my future however, mother and father seem quite proud though.  After I found out, I have been hiding in my room with Bun-Bun my dog. She is always so comforting to me! I plan to keep writing in the hopes that some form of clarity will come to me soon.  I could certainly use some about now!
Sincerely,
Mohini

Dear Diary,
               I talked with mother and father today about my future plans. I will go and learn how to slay demons. According to the pandit that told me I was Vishnu’s female form, I have powers that I have not fully realized as of yet. I think that I may enjoy becoming an enchantress and helping people. Father does not think I should go away, and has warned me of the many dangers. As a woman, I think he would prefer for me to become married to Harishnu, our neighbor’s son. But how can possibly get married to him when I have just been told I have all this power? Does he expect me to not explore my options? I wonder what Vishnu would do in my position? Perhaps I will meditate and try to think as Vishnu would! I will tell you if I figure anything out!
Sincerely,
Mohini

Dear Diary,
               Vishnu has spoken to me! He says that I must learn to defeat demons to become my true form. So I am going to talk to my mother and see if she can convince father to see things from my position. Or perhaps Vishnu can speak to father and show him what I can become! I cannot simply become a wife without living first! I hope that he can see this and believes me when I ask to go to learn how to become an enchantress. I think that I could do a really good job with this, and that this could be my true calling! I will have to try and discuss this with them tomorrow before Harishnu comes over for dinner. I cannot believe my parents asked him to come over, without telling me! Bun-Bun and I will simply hide in my room if it comes to it. However, Harishnu is a fairly nice guy… I just don’t see myself marrying him!
Sincerely,
Mohini

Dear Diary,
               Father has said yes! I can go and train to become an enchantress! I cannot believe that today has been so lucky for me! Harishnu was very kind after we explained what I would be doing. He was very excited that I would be going on to such an adventurous future! He even played with Bun-Bun for a while before leaving to go back home. I will be leaving for schooling next week so mother and I will be going shopping for some new dresses! I cannot wait to see what my future holds!
Sincerely,
Mohini 

Author's Note:
  This week I took inspiration from a video on the Seven Secrets of Vishnu. The videos I watched focused mostly on Mohini, Vishnu's female form. In the stories they are actually the same being, but I thought it would be interesting to write a few diary entries from the perspective of a girl finding out she was the female form of Vishnu. Mohini does hunt demons in several stories and also acts as an enchantress seducing many! I liked making her a little more excited about a new future and escaping the normal route of marriage.

5 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting story. I have never heard of it but it does make sense with the name Mohini. Krishna is always thought of as a very relax, dancing, singing, enchanting form of Vishnu. So it makes sense that she would be another form of him. I also like how you used a diary format. That is exactly what I did for a couple of my stories since they allow us a glimpse into a person's personal thoughts. You get an inside on the person that you would not without the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did with this story! It is such a cool idea to have the girl not know she is Vishnu and to come to terms with what that means. I was instantly drawn in. I like how you incorporated her father and mother. Her father was nervous of her following her destiny but her mother was always supporting her. The dynamic is interesting, considering this girl really is a god.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kaitlyn! I love it when writers decide to go with a diary entry way of writing. It really helps the reader to feel exactly how the protagonist is feeling which bring them, the reader, a lot closer to the plot. I really love how you gave Mohini a little fluffy companion, plus his name is obviously very adorable haha. I enjoyed reading your story. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen that video yet, but after reading your blog post I will check it out. I liked reading a girls perspective of Vishnu, this was interesting since the girl was not looking to get married right away. I didn't really find any grammatical errors in your story, and I love how the transition was smooth and understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the second story I have read about Mohini, yet the more I learn, the more I am intrigued. I'll have to look up her story next week. You wrote the diary entries very well, and it all flowed so nicely. It's great to read about a powerful woman who stands on her own instead of by a husband's side. You might like to read about Ganga or Krishna's wives. I've read about them in Bizzel's comic books and found them quite inspiring.

    ReplyDelete