Monday, October 17, 2016

Reading Notes: The Jataka Tales

This week I am going to read the Jataka tales! I was interested in them at the beginning of the semester so I am glad to finally have a chance to read them.

Most of these stories are based off a moral. I liked the monkey king that made a bridge for his subjects so that they could escape. I also liked that they brought in mangos to tie in cultural aspects as well. I also like the story of the guilty dogs because it focuses on dogs, my favorite pet. Each animal in the stories seems to have a bit of wisdom to pass on to a king, focusing on how to be a just ruler.

I am glad to get a chance to read more of these stories because they each have their own unique way of presenting how a just king should rule. In some it is thinking logically, in others it is using love as the guide, and in another yet the king and his subjects become vegetarian to appease the animals wellness. I think that it is very interesting that the Indian culture focuses on how a just king should rule with these. I wonder if it was because they felt that their own kings were not ruling justly? Or because their kings ordered they wrote these stories down so that they may appear just?

I think it will be easy to take Jonathon and Mr. Piddles on an adventure with some of these new characters and still relate to Sugriva and Hanuman, one of which is a king. I might write a story about how Hanuman must become a just king by using the moral from one of the Jataka tales. I also like that several of the tales use humor to convey their points as well. 

Image result for jataka tales banyan
The Banyan Deer

No comments:

Post a Comment