Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Reading Notes: Jataka Tales

This week I am reading the Jataka Tales written by Noor Inayat.
The stories this week are again based around animals, something I have greatly enjoyed. I particularly enjoyed the two pigs and the patient buffalo. There are a lot of mystical creatures in these stories and again focuses on how a king can be a just ruler. The pigs discuss ruling with love and wisdom, whereas the buffalo deal with all of his problems with patience. The buffalo does not blame the monkey who is troubling him for anything because of his 'stupidity'.
I think that these give a very interesting perspective on the Indian culture and good insight. I like these because they focus on giving good morals with humor. Most of the stories in this section had comedic relief in either dialogue or in characters' actions.  In my last notation I didn’t mention all of the sketches and images throughout the Jataka Tales. I will have to try to search for more because I have been unable to find very many under a google search.
I am going to try and continue the humor in my own story this week with my two characters. I like that they use this to help motivate their readers to follow the moral lesson. It also makes the characters from the Jataka Tales more relatable throughout their own stories. This week I am going to try and include a moral in my story this week. I am not sure which one I will use from the tales, but I will have to make sure that my story is easy to follow and has a clear point like the Jataka Tales include.
Next week I am not sure what I will read, but I do know that there are some other versions of the Jataka Tales so I may look into those.

Image result for jataka tales the patient buffalo
The Patient Buffalo

No comments:

Post a Comment