Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Reading Notes: Ramayana Public Doman (Cont.)

I am reading Ramayana the public domain version, which is written as an anthology and has many authors. I have really enjoyed reading this so far and am hoping that it continues at such a high level of enjoyment.
  • ·        I like that Bharata has loyalty to his brother Rama and states that he will not take the throne in his brother’s place. I think that this is a good opening for the second part of this reading assignment because Bharata was not around for most of the second half of the first reading.
  • ·        The funeral for Dasharatha was sad, but also interesting because it is the first tradition Indian funeral I have read about. It was nice to see that they hold similar traditions to ours and also have the people attending deliver small gifts into the ‘casket’. I always think that learning about how cultures handle death is fascinating.
  • ·        I have enjoyed how many of the stories have been written in verse. It is really interesting to see how large a part this type of writing played in Indian culture, especially when reminded that this version of the Ramayana is an anthology. I may possibly consider writing my story this week in verse since it seems to be a reoccurring theme throughout.
  • ·        The next few stories all seemed a little randomly strung together, but I liked seeming glimpses of more myths and fables in the Indian culture. It is also cool to be introduced to new mythical creatures and famous characters that I have never heard about until this class.
  • ·        All of the fighting scenes are also a good introduction to that side of Indian culture. It is cool to see how some of the different writers approach describing all of the war scenes and ‘epic’ fights. I always enjoy learning more about this side of mythology as well!

Rama defeats Khara!

No comments:

Post a Comment