Monday, September 12, 2016

Reading Notes: The Divine Archer

This week I am reading The DivineArcher by F.J. Gould, another version of Ramayana. 

  • So far this week's reading has very similar story line as the original version of Ramayana that we read last week. There are a few different details that seem to vary, such as how Rama is marked at birth and the how his mother recognizes that he is a god. 
  • I still enjoy the story of how Rama and Sita meet. I think it is a very high school way to meet for such a royal community. I may choose this story to write about from a different perspective this time, perhaps a diary entry from Sita or Rama to show their true feelings and thoughts. I have read several entries that I enjoyed and think it would be fun to use this story.
  • I still think that the story about Rama's exile is a bit confusing, even after reading it twice. It is a very quick change and so the reader is definitely thrown off. This is also not my favorite part of the story because of how forced it seems. 
  • Having no real background in Indian culture I am glad to have the chance to read a second version of the Ramayana. Writing about this topic is difficult without any outside knowledge so I am glad to be able to have a second look. When writing about this I always try to give more detailed explanations in the Author’s notes because these are not as common stories for people. This version does a good job (for the most part) to explain all of the things going on. Laura’s notes are also extremely helpful for any questions that I have had in the last few weeks.
  • I think that the end of the first reading assignment ends at a good point knowing the rest of the story. I like the Hanuman and Sugriva stories so I am excited to have more stories with them.
 
Hanuman jumping!


No comments:

Post a Comment