Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Reading Note: Mahabharata (Cont.)




This week I am reading Mahabharata which is written by many people.

I enjoy reading the stories about Bhima and his family. Although they seem to be in a lot of bad situations with bad timing, they always seem to make it out on top. I think that these stories show that good will always conquers evil and that love can come from any situation. I may use Bhima and Hidimbi’s love story in my own story this week and try to incorporate some unconventional love as there love is. I think that this could make for an entertaining story as well as a very funny one!
I also think that Bhima represents a super hero of sorts due to his strength and ability to always fight for his family. This would be a very powerful image at any time of history.

Draupadi’s story is very interesting as well because it involves reincarnation (of which we have not read much about) and karma. These two concepts are well known to be linked with Indian culture but have not been discussed much in our readings so far. I will probably try to add some form of ‘karma’ in my story because I believe that if you put positivity and good out in the world it will come back to you some day. I also think that it is an interesting situation because in Draupadi’s previous life as Nalayani she was assigned to marry five men, something you don’t see very often. Usually it is polygamy not polyandry.

I like reading the Mahabharata much better than the Ramayana so far because it focuses a lot more on women and their role in Indian culture and society. It also features strong women, which is uncommon in many stories written so long ago. I am glad we get to read this story next week as well.

Draupadi and the Five Pandavas

No comments:

Post a Comment